Friday, July 10, 2015

At the Post Office

The ladies who work at my local Post Office are very nice.  They seem to like me.   

The tiny PO lobby is often overcrowded.  There's standing room for about 4 or 5 people in there but there are often more, and there's only space for one postal worker at the little window, so nerves sometimes get understandably frayed.  

When I enter the lobby door and see a crowd, I just greet everyone and say something like, "Wow, I didn't realize that I was late to attend the town meeting!"  People laugh.  I usually follow up with a comment on the weather--always an important topic.  Everyone starts chatting, and the heavy atmosphere lightens.  

If someone comes to the door carrying packages or trailing a line of kids, I open the door for them.  If someone is in a hurry, I trade places in line.  If someone is having trouble choosing a mailing box or is doing very last moment packing right there in the lobby I lend a hand.  I've even gotten extra packing materials from my car to help stuff a box (since my packing is donated to me, I'm usually carrying around spare stuff in the backseat).  

It's not much.  But this is at least something I can do to help out the world.  Maybe just one kind or funny word might make a difference somehow.

When no one else is there, the postal worker and I will chat just for a minute about the terrible traffic or about the next holiday. I enjoy that moment, and I'm truly grateful for it.

You see, what the postal ladies don't know is that the people I see at the Post Office are very likely to be the only people  I will see or speak to that day.   They make a difference to me in ways that they could never imagine.  Those few minutes are precious, and I receive much more than I ever give.

So, while  you're out and about today, smile at someone, be patient while you're waiting in line, offer a friendly word or a helping hand.  You never know when just that small moment becomes a lifeline in a scary world.

No comments:

Post a Comment