Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Managing a Chowder Miscalculation



Corn Chowder. It's one of those old-fashioned things that you just want to have for supper when it's cold outside. Well, that's what my mother used to make anyway. It's soothing, bland, warm.

I knew there was milk in the fridge that absolutely had to be used up, and I happened to have all of the other ingredients (largely thanks to someone who gifted me with the canned contents of her pantry when she moved out of town) so I figured corn chowder sounded like a great idea for a chilly February day.

Super-simple stuff, just like Mother used to make, except that I add carrots and I don't add salt pork (vegetarian, me).

Corn Chowder
Potatoes, peel and cube, boil until tender and drain
Carrot, diced, add to potato while boiling
Onion, chopped, sauteed in butter until translucent
Can corn
Can creamed corn
Can evaporated milk
Cup of milk
Add it all together, warm it up, and supper is served!




It tasted great but there was one tiny minor problem: my mom's old recipe serves 4 to 6 people, and there's just one of me. Too much chowder! 

Since the milk that I added was just out of date, I knew I'd need to finish the chowder fast or it was gonna go off. After three chowder meals in a row (including breakfast!), I was kinda not caring if I ever had chowder again but there was still more left and I didn't like to waste it.

It was time to come up with a Plan B. Maybe there was something I could do with the leftovers.

I peeled and cubed a couple of small potatoes and put them on to boil. When they were nearly done, I scooped the veggies out of the chowder and added them to the potatoes to warm while the potatoes finished cooking. I warmed the leftover milk portion of the chowder in the microwave. Then I drained the veggie mixture and mashed it, adding enough of the milk to make mashed potatoes. It wasn't too bad, actually, with some veggie bacon and sliced campari tomatoes on the side.



Now, thank goodness, there is no more corn chowder.  I don't think I'm even gonna have to remind myself NOT to make too much of that again!  And I suspect it's gonna be awhile before I want chowder again anyway.   

No comments:

Post a Comment