Sunday, May 29, 2016

Almost Forgetting Fifth Sunday


Our small congregation at Amazing Savior Church has a special tradition:  each time a month has a 5th Sunday (about 3 times a year), we have potluck. 

Guess who almost forgot 5th Sunday until late Saturday evening?  Yeah.  Bad me.

No point in panicking.....until I realized that there's not much I could have on hand that anyone else would care for once I avoid nuts, raisins, carrots, broccoli.  (Remember:  I'm the batty old vegetarian who actually enjoys fruitcake.)  Oh my. 

And then I remembered a chocolate cake recipe I found online.*  Who doesn't like chocolate cake?  Right?  So what if someone else brings dessert!  There is no such thing as too many desserts.

Chocolate Cake
 
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon vinegar
6 tablespoons oil
1 cup water
 
Oil an 8-inch square pan.   Heat oven to 375 degrees.
 
Add all dry ingredients together and stir until blended.  Add all wet ingredients to dry and stir until fairly smooth.
 
Bake for about 35 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
 


Problem solved!  Super simple.  One bowl.   One mixing spoon.  One pan.  No mess.  No eggs.  No milk.  But the result is a cake that is amazingly light and tasty but not too sweet.  I won't frost it.  It's very good as it is.



 Chocolate cake to the rescue!  Life is good.


*Recipe source:  Fouch-O-Matic Off Grid channel on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment