Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Another Ordinary Miracle: Soup Stock



Ever since I saw a post the other day on the Root Simple blog about making instant soup stock, I've been longing to try it.  But I knew that my elderly food processor could never cope.  Chopping a pound of carrots into tiny pieces was out of the question with that machine--it complained rather loudly recently when I was making beaten biscuits (but it still has enough strength to crunch up a lot of crumbs for making panko).

Then I remembered that last autumn someone had given me an unwanted very old food processor (even older than mine and that's saying something because my hand-me-down is  30 years old).  It was kinda filthy-looking with old food scraps stuck all over and I wasn't sure it worked at all, so I had intended to either yard sale it or put it to use for crunching up stuff for my new compost project.  But I decided to have another look-see.  The motor sounded strong, so I gave the processor a good clean.  And it worked beautifully.  I love it!  Now it has earned a place of its own on my kitchen counter.  (I'll find another home for the other processor--it's okay for light duty and someone might find it useful.)  It's funny how things turn up just when you really need them. 

With just a bit of time and effort, I made lots of lovely soup stock (some packed for the fridge, some for the freezer) that I will be able to enjoy for months to come.




.....editing to add that I have now tried the soup stock, and it's lovely stuff!  It's next to impossible to find vegetarian bouillon here in my little South Mississippi town, and I do enjoy a warm mug of that sort; this instant stock will be a wonderfully welcome alternative.  In fact, I like it even better.



No comments:

Post a Comment