Sunday, May 15, 2016

Use It Up.....


.....that's what I was always taught.  I grew up with folks who had been through the Great Depression, so they knew what was what when it came to personal economy.  I have an old embroidery sampler with their words of wisdom on it:

Use it up.
Wear it out.
Make it do.
Do without.
 
The know-how they handed down to me has been invaluable, although I kinda thought it was annoying when I was a kid.  These days I've grown some good common sense of my own so I've added a little twist on that wisdom with my own personal saying:
 
It's cheaper to keep it.
 
I'm aware of the whole Tidying trend.  I have a copy of the book and I've read it more than once.  Although I admire Marie Kondo's thought process, I completely disagree with the notion that we should just throw out anything that we think doesn't pertain.  That's extremely bad for the environment but probably just great for the economy since people will undoubtedly end up buying a whole lot of new stuff to replace the other stuff that they've thoughtlessly chucked out.  Big business must love this fad. 
 
Last year, I tried Marie Kondo-ing my wardrobe.  As a result, I've gone without a housecoat ever since because, following her advice, I threw out the one I had.  I'd never liked it and it was quite worn.  But now I don't feel like doling out the cash for a replacement so, using my parents' maxim, I've been doing without.  And I don't like it.  Not one bit.  Having cold shoulders while I drink my morning tea is something I do Not enjoy.  It's all Marie Kondo's fault!
 
Well, I can't really blame it on her.  But I can blame myself for not sticking to what I know to be tried-and-true:  we should use things up and wear them out.  It saves money.  And, as with the case of an old housecoat, it can save a lot of aggravation, too.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment