Thursday, November 17, 2016

The Way Out


I don't usually like to talk about this stuff because I was taught that it was rude to make a nuisance of oneself to others.  Really, I agree and I think that's a very good way to be.  But on rare occasion, you've just gotta let it out.  And there IS something I've been concerned about.

It is one of the great cosmic jokes of the universe: 
I am both agoraphobic and claustrophobic.

Fortunately neither of those matters is extreme.  I can go to unfamiliar or far places if someone takes me and as long as I'm not left by myself in a very busy place.  And I don't mind small spaces all that much; the problem is if I can't get out.  If I can't see a way out, I'm not going in. 

I have to have an exit.  Not negotiable.  

My narrow driveway is about 600 feet long.  It's nice being a good distance from the street; it's quiet; it's calm.....unless someone blocks the driveway.  I don't turn all weepy and fussy.  No, none of that.  In my case:  think of The Hulk.  I get really, really angry and nobody likes anybody that angry.

You know, this is just me.  Just the way I am.  I accept that.  I plan so stuff doesn't happen unnecessarily.  And I deal with it as reasonably as I can.

Just don't block my darn driveway.

My tenant's very large (16 X 80--it's much bigger than my house!) mobile home has been sold, and it will be moved at the end of this month.   

That behemoth is gonna block my driveway.

Since this is my place, I've gotta be here for the event, no choice.  And there seems to be no one who is willing to spend the day with me so that I can remain chill.  (If someone I could depend upon were here, that would keep my manners nicely in place.  Alone: not so easy.) 

I've been thinking what I can do, and the one semi-solution that I can imagine is to ask my back-door neighbors if I can park my car at the end of their driveway which, oddly, is parallel to mine.  At least I will have the illusion that I can leave because I could walk past my blueberry bushes, though a bunch of wax myrtles, and jump the ditch to get to their driveway and my car.  It could work.

The street I live on is very narrow, too--only a lane-and-a-half wide (which tends to scare the bejabbers out of new folks who have to drive past other vehicles--the rest of us are accustomed to daredevilling our way along the edge of the 3-foot-deep ditches that line the road).  I remember when that mammoth trailer was delivered here.  It got stuck in the ditches on BOTH sides of the road at once and blocked our dead end street for hours.  Yes, I live on a street with NO exit at one end.  And, yes, heaven help us, my place is right where things get blocked off so that no one can get out.

Yeah, I'm gonna try not to think about that at all because even my car wouldn't be accessible then. 

Walking.....I could walk out.  Walking is good.  So is life.  Stuff happens.  Plan for it.  Get through it.

It's gonna be okay.
God is absolutely good.
I may not ever understand why but I was made like this for a purpose.


~*~
 
For you formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb. 
I praise you
because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful. 
I know that full well.
 
Psalms 139:14-15

 




No comments:

Post a Comment