Sunday, January 8, 2017

No More Sitting in the Shadows


Every winter here in South Mississippi, we get a few days that are very cold.....well, cold by our standards (especially considering that we basically have nine months of "summer" weather).  And every winter on those days, I curl up in a misery-ball because, honest to Pete, I cannot tolerate feeling chilled. 

The past 48 hours or so have been hideously cold--down to 20 degrees and barely rising above freezing.  I don't like it.  I don't like it at all.  So I've been mostly hiding out in the Blue Room--the room I don't know what to call ever since I moved my office out of there.  It's sort an all-purpose space and it contains four large pieces of furniture:  a single bed, a work table, and two bookshelves.  It also has a couple of chairs and several little occasional pieces. 

I like that room but something has been really bothering me, and I wasn't especially able put my finger on it until I moved my basket chair during this cold snap (my back had been toward the window so that I was feeling the cold) and I was facing a different direction.  I finally realized that what is bothering me is that my work table is sitting in the shadows.  I much prefer being in the light.  No wonder my work table was staying super-messy all the time, and I wasn't getting stuff accomplished!

The view in from the door (with my basket chair in the wrong place--and, oh yeah, my sewing machine is in there, too):



My work table in the shadowy corner (yes, there is a curtain in the doorway; there is no door and the curtain helps to keep the room warmer.....and apologies for the fuzzy picture; I tried twice and this is as good as it gets):



And here's Daisy hamming for the camera just because she can (she has an eye irritation; don't worry, it's being medicated): 



So as I sat there staring at the room for two long days, I've been chewing on the problem of moving the furniture.  I essentially just Don't Wanna.  Moving books is a flaming nightmare, especially where there are so very many of them, and I just moved those bookshelves four months ago. 

This is a small (not Tiny) house.  This isn't a big room.  But it is the biggest of the three bedrooms.  It's about 10 X 12 feet.  The stuff that is in there needs to stay in there, so figuring out how to move furniture around is like one of those old puzzles where you have to move two or three pieces to get one other in place.  It's crazy to move stuff around again, isn't it?

So I sat there and I couldn't stop thinking about it.  I thought and thought and thought.....and it was when I found myself measuring and drawing diagrams that I knew the battle was over.   Yeah, gonna be moving furniture and (heaven help us) hundreds of books again.  But you know what's even worse?  If I don't like it or if I've measured it all wrong, I'm gonna have to move everything back to where it was in the first place. 
Oh my.

Life is good.
I'll let you know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment