Tuesday, July 4, 2017

As American as Apple.....Tarts?


I have a confession to make: 
Pie does Not happen at my house. 

My kitchen skills are so-so.  I am quite good with bread and cookies and cakes (although not decorating them).  I can make a mean salad.  I  am able to cook veggies any way you want them--boiled, steamed, baked, roasted.  And I am often kinda-sorta brilliant with soup, if I do say so myself.  But I cannot put a proper meal on the table, and I cannot make pie.  You've gotta be honest about where your talents lie:  for me, pie is Not It.

But it's the 4th of July.  And there were seriously no goodies in the house.  No picnic food; no potato salad; certainly no hot dogs (not even the carrot variety).  :::::sigh:::::  As usual, it's just me celebrating all by my lonesome but I wanted a treat anyway.   I grumped and grumbled for awhile, and then I looked into the still fairly empty freezer.  There it was:  Holiday Rescue in a Box.  Half a packet of puff pastry leftover from Christmas.  Yay!

And here's what happened next, recipe-wise:

I de-frosted the pastry (easily done; just let the package sit on the counter for an hour).  Then I got a couple of clearance sale Fuji apples out of the fridge.  I pared, cored, and roughly chopped them.  I mixed up brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, freshly ground nutmeg, and salt.  Then I tossed the apples with the sugar mixture.  I spread out the sheet of puff pastry but I didn't bother to roll it out (although any proper set of directions would tell you to do precisely that).  I cut the pastry into six pieces and stretched each out a bit before I placed them in the cups of a buttered muffin tin.  I portioned out the apples and sugar into the cups and added a teaspoon of margarine to each.  Then I folded the corners of the pastry inward and pinched them closed.  I melted about a tablespoon of margarine and poured it over the tops of the six little tarts.  The oven was pre-heated to 375.  I baked the tarts for 25 minutes until they were nicely golden and crispy.



Yes, there are only four on the plate.  I already ate two!  And I'm not a bit sorry.  They are so good!  Just the treat I wanted for today.   And, yes, they are not particularly pretty--kindly remember that I can't do pastry; I was more interested in function than form anyhow and, in that sense, they are just right.

Now, if I had had different ingredients, I might have done other things like maybe adding raisins or berries or nuts.  I might have put a dollop of cream cheese in there, too.  Or I could have served them with sour cream on top.  (Yeah, I completely prefer sour cream where Everyone Else uses whipped cream.  Go figure.  Odd Me.  I especially love it on strawberries.)  There's a lot you can do with simple fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants cooking ideas.  It's kinda more fun sometimes than using an actual recipe. 

So there you have it.  As American as Apple Tarts.  Perfect for Independence Day.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment