Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A Warning About a Flea Control Product



The other day I happened to be reading some posts on a message board when I happened upon one that had the following title:  Warning for Sergeants Silver Spot On Treatment for Cats.

 The writer of the post quoted from a lengthy Facebook post by a veterinary assistant, and it detailed the suffering that animals endure when using Sargeants Silver.  (Link to the board post is here )

As you can see in the following link to Consumer Affairs, there are a huge number of people complaining about serious health issues in their animals after using Sergeants Silver Flea Control:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/sergeants.html

After I read the article, I suddenly realized that this was the product that I had used on Daisy when she nearly died a few months ago.


Sergeants Silver is sold at dollar stores for around $5-6 so it is readily available to people who may not have access to veterinary assistance or to pay for a more quality product.  I know that this is true because I bought Sergeants Silver at Family Dollar early this year when my dear elderly Daisy was suffering with a bumper crop of fleas.

Even if I could afford to take Daisy to the vet (and I surely do not have the funds), she could not go.  Daisy has serious fear-related behavioral issues that stem from her mistreatment by previous owners.  I've taken her for vetting before and she reacted so badly that she has now been banned by two vets here in my little town.  Bathing Daisy is also out of the question due to her behavior.  My only recourse has been to use spot flea treatments, and this time I couldn't pay for a better product.  Usually she's sleepy for a couple of days after a spot treatment, and then she recovers.

When I used Sergeants this spring, she was sleepy again for a few days.  The next week, she began to lose strength.  She was shaking.  She lay down in her own excrement and did not care to move out of it.  She developed pneumonia.  And it became apparent that she was dying.  There was nothing I could do but pray.  Pray I did.  I gave her to God; in his goodness, he gave her back to me.

I don't really know why I did not connect Daisy's decline to Sergeants (perhaps her reaction was different than other cats because she didn't show negative signs as quickly maybe she is elderly, perhaps because she was dealing with other behavior problems at the same time) but I feel sure now that this is what nearly killed her.

I consider it a miracle that I still have my cranky old kitty, and I don't take that gift for granted.  If you love your animal, don't use Sargeants Silver.  I surely never will again. 

Daisy, please forgive me.


Life is good.
It's better with a feline friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment