Thursday, August 31, 2017

Breaking the Back of Summer


June, July, and August are kinda helly--there's just no two ways about it.  Here in South Mississippi, it's HOT and it's humid in midsummer.  And summer weather tends to last a long, long time.  There are nine months out of the year when we're liable to have temperatures hovering at 90 and above.  When it rains, and we have thunder-boomers nearly every afternoon in summer, the pavement is so hot that steam rises off of it. 

It's just HOT.  Helly hot.  I heard someone say recently that just plain breathing in summer is like having your lungs filled with steaming wet wool.  I can relate.  It's not comfy.

There's an old expression that I recall:  breaking the back of summer.  That's when you have a sequence of seven consecutive days with temperatures below 90.  That's when you can feel sure that the worst of summer has passed.  Well, we've had about nine days now in the 8o's, and the forecast says that we can look forward to another ten (two of those days with temps in the 70's--wonderful!).  It's uncommonly early to be breaking the back of summer.  I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but I'm hoping.....oh, I'm hoping that this summer winds down on a gentle warm breeze instead of chugging at full speed, steaming like a late-racing locomotive.

Autumn will come along sometime, that's for sure.  The cicadas tell me so.  I can hear their buzzing song right this moment.

Hoping that blythe days are on the way.
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment