Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Dirty Laundry


There's a cute little sign that hangs over my washing machine.  It says:




Would be great if everything were that simple, wouldn't it? 

After spending a month with pneumonia and then being busy with other tasks away from home for a couple of months, I'm totally behind in my housework, behind on working on my garden, behind on my eBay listings, not to mention the laundry.  It's hard catching up and it's even harder trying to do it all at once.  That's why I parcel out 15 minutes to the porch project, 15 minutes to the garden, 15 minutes to this or that.  Doing things that way is good but it's hard to see real progress on anything when I'm trying to split focus in every direction.  But, honestly, I'm doing the best I can right now.

My old washer broke down last November.  I've done a few loads of wash at the laundromat but the prices horrified me:  $4.50 for a large load; $6.50 for an extra-large load.  Last time I had to use a laundromat, any size load only cost 50 cents!  So I borrowed my friend's washer when I could but otherwise I just used every sheet and towel in the house until there wasn't a rag left clean.  So, after more than six months, the washing has piled up and piled up and piled to an unbelievable level. 

As a general rule, I genuinely like doing laundry.  It's clean.  It's soothing.  It's worthwhile.  And most importantly, it's usually it's an activity with very obvious progress.  But ever since I got my bartered-for used washer, I've been washing and washing and washing.....and there doesn't seem to be an end to it all.  I thought I was nearly done this afternoon (after five loads of laundry just today) when I discovered yet another basket with a couple of loads of wash waiting to be done.  It was all I could do not to weep.

Stuff happens in life.  Things can get overwhelming.  It can happen to anyone.  Worrying too far in advance is tiring and doesn't resolve anything. 

The most important thing is to face the task in front of you squarely.  Do what you can and do your best with it.  Don't give up.  Just keep taking one step at a time.  Eventually things reach a manageable level.  In any case, the small work of life (like laundry) is never really finished; we just need to persist.  Every effort we take in life improves our strength of character.....even if that effort comes from dealing with an endless mountain of laundry. 

Maybe I'll get the wash finished by Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment