Monday, June 13, 2016

Emptying the Freezer


Two years ago, I challenged myself to make a radical change:  I sold my refrigerator.  Then I replaced it with a chest freezer and a dorm fridge.  I've written about this before.  (The Refrigerator Journey and The Refigerator Journey, Part Two)

It seemed like a totally crazy idea.  Believe me, any number of people told me so.  But it's still one of the best things I have ever done:  my electricity bills are lower, I spend less money on food, I waste less food, I eat healthier food in greater variety.

The freezer has rescued me several times during days when the budget was low.  And it has been doing so again lately--my food budget for this week and for next is $0 (no, I didn't forget a number; I mean zero).  I also recognize that there is a need to get the freezer cleaned out so I can get rid of frost build-up.  It's not a lot of frost so far but I don't want it to get any worse.  This seems the perfect time to do a freezer challenge:  eat it up and clear it out.

It's interesting to see what has been stuffed in the corners and what has hidden at the bottom.  I had no idea there was 3/4's of a pumpkin pie in there.  Or that I seem to have stored what must be gallons of various homemade soups.  I've found where my stainless steel casseroles have been lurking--they had Cucumber Dressing in them (it's not salad dressing; it's a baked dressing; no, really, it's lots nicer than how it sounds) and they were stacked under two packages of cranberries that my friend gave me when she emptied her freezer.  And then I discovered that someone else had given me a packet of ready-to-bake frozen Cinnabons.  Since I've never had Cinnabons before, that should be a treat.

Every so often it's good to have a bit of a clear-out--makes you appreciate all that you have.  And this will encourage me to create some sort of inventory system as I begin filling the freezer again.  In the meanwhile, I've gotta figure out what to do with two bags of frozen cranberries!

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment