Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Gift of Simplicity


Pet-sitting for my neighbors is a pleasure that I don't take for granted.  There's just one cat now--Smoky, a long-haired gray and white kitty who is loaded with sass.  I admire cats like that, so we get along just fine.  She was playing this morning, running back and forth in front of the bench where I was sitting and occasionally jumping up to bite my arm.  I've got news for Miss Smoky:  I ain't skeered of no bite-y cat.  And I knew that she was testing to see if she could trust me for sure; in time she will see that she can.

But I am kinda scared of bite-y people, like the quilt group I attended last summer.  I was thinking about them this morning while I played with Smoky.  Unlike the kitty cat, they were showing their teeth for real, and they meant to cause damage.  Oh, I can stand my ground alright while I'm facing a bully.  But I'd really rather not have to do so; I don't think it's necessary for people to be unkind.  Their words bothered me more and for longer than they should have done.

I was so happy with the quilt I was working on; it's something really special to me.  I stitched it all by hand and made it with fabric samples from the late 1950's that I found at a flea market.  It's simple.  It's funny.  It's bright.  Everything that I love.  Everything that the quilt ladies hated.

The very worst theft is stealing someone else's hope and joy. 

When I came home today, I got the quilt off the closet shelf.  It's all pieced and sandwiched.  It only wants quilting.  And I want to quilt it.  It's time to take up my needle again and leave the unkindness in the dust.


 



But God has chosen the foolish things of this world
to confound the wise;
and God has chosen the weak things of this world
to confound the things which are mighty.
 
I Corinithians 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment