Monday, August 8, 2016

Throwing the Fat Into the Fire


Careful minds and cautious thinkers will warn you never to throw the fat into the fire.  There is legitimate reason for concern:  fat sizzles and suddenly spits so you're likely to be seared by the  blowback.  Still, I believe that there are times when you must throw the metaphorical fat into the fictional fire, and that's the point I arrived at this morning.

Two years before she passed on, my mother bought new living room furniture.  It suited her tastes well, although it is not what I would choose.  But it's tolerable and the scale of it is right for the space, so I have left the living room largely as my mother arranged it, simply changing a few side items, art,  and decoratives.

All that having been said, the changes I have been making lately in the whole house are having an impact on the living room.  There must now be bookshelves in there.  It turns out that I have more books than shelf space, so I have been scrounging for shelves that won't look too horrible in the room.  I have to use only what I already have (that is to say, I have no money to spend for anything different or new), so I retrieved two old white shelves (one from a closet and one from the workshop) that will be a reasonable "go with" for my mother's country white furniture.  They are my only option, so they have to work.....but they won't. 

The white shelves simply do not fit.  It's a matter of less than two inches, and I can't resolve that.  There is absolutely no way--I've spent two days trying.  And it's crazy-making to have books piled all over the floor.  Every other bit of dross has ended up in the living room as well, and it's all just 'orrible, 'orrible!

And that is why this morning I threw the furniture fat into the mental fire.  This means that essentially everything is fair game and nothing is sacred. 

Result:  my mother's prissy TV cabinet (which I have always secretly disliked) is outta here!  (I don't know how I'm gonna get it out of the house but, as far as I'm concerned, it's toast.)   I will also be re-purposing the end table that "should" stay where it is at the end of the sofa.  Somehow I believe that these puzzle pieces will fit.



I believe that there's a point to all this moving and changing, even though I don't know what it is right now.  And, oh, this all just reminds me of how much I want to paint walls!

I am so grateful to be able to move furniture today.  Last Monday, I was in so much pain with sciatica that I could barely leave my chair.

Life is good.

Just gotta to move forward one step at a time.






No comments:

Post a Comment