Friday, September 2, 2016

Something Like Home


When I went off to graduate school at Ole Miss, I was about as far away from home as I could go while still staying in Mississippi.  My family was at one end of the state, and I was at the other. 

I felt a bit lost. 

That's why I decided to wander around TG&Y (a chain store that is now, sadly, long gone) one September day.  I loved the TG&Y back home, so the much bigger one in Oxford seemed somehow familiar, and that was comforting.

I remember the day especially because I discovered two things in that store that made me happy:  a pretty tin box from England and Pearson's Nips.  The tin was the perfect place to keep the delicious hard candy.

Nips aren't Pearson's anymore; they are now just Nips.  The cardboard box they come in still looks similar, and it is the same size as always.  It used to hold 40 candies for 77 cents; now it's 16 for $1.37.  But I still love them, and I still like keep a pretty tin full of Nips close at hand.

When I went to buy fresh batteries for my computer mouse the other day, I also made sure to stop at the sweets aisle to buy the candy that tastes like Home.  That pretty tin needed re-filling.


No comments:

Post a Comment