Sunday, July 9, 2017

Pulling Off the Impossible


Yeah, it's time for a Hail Mary pass.  I'm about to do what Cannot Be Done.  Wanna Know?  I'm gonna pull together a yard sale alone in just short 6 days in the middle of a hot Mississippi July. 

There's no space or time for thinking of Impossible.  It's gotta happen.  I told my neighbors yesterday that a yard sale was in the wind so they could bring their stuff, too.  Now I'm committed.....and "committed" is probably what I ought to be for doing this.

But here's the deal:  I can't pay the electric bill.  This is the second month in a row that it has been a struggle.  I've gotta get ahead or I'll just fall further behind.  The only thing I can do right now that makes sense is to have a yard sale.  But did you know that to have a yard sale you've gotta have money?  Yeah.  That's a toughie--money to place an ad in the paper, money to use for making change. 

I almost had enough for the electric bill but "almost" won't pay the bill so I've decided to use that cash to set up my sale instead .  Sometimes you've gotta be bold enough to take the risk.  The Bible tells us to "come boldly before the throne of Grace" so that's what I'm doing.  I am believing boldly.

This morning, I saw a news headline that made me laugh.  Well, it was a bitter laugh but all the same.....apparently some "study" says that people who live below the poverty line spend 40% of their money on "luxury" goods.  Luxury?  Seriously?  For the past three months, I have been unable to afford paper towels.  For the past two months, I have had no laundry detergent.  For the past month, I have been out of toothpaste.  I am also about to run out of shampoo, hand soap, and dish soap.  I don't even wanna discuss the issues I've had with having access to toilet paper.  Those are NOT luxury goods. 

It's up to me to deal with this.  So, with God's great grace and with lots of Arashi music playing loudly in the background, I'm gonna give it my best effort. 

A yard sale.  In 6 days.  In Mississippi.  In July.
Life is hard.
But it's also very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment