Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Bread of Happiness






Shiawase no Pan.  
That's Japanese for "The Bread of Happiness."

An artisan bread baker and his wife move from Tokyo to rural Hokkaido.  They open Cafe Mani on the shores of beautiful Lake Toya.  Shiawase no Pan is the story of their second year there.

I saw this wise and gentle movie a couple of years ago.  The message and the feelings from it have never left me.  It's about the seasons of life and about what is most important:  the companions who share our journey.  







This is one of those movies that you just want to see more than once.  Re-watching is like visiting a beloved friend.  So last night I set about trying to find it online again; not an easy thing to do, I might add, because I have searched for it several times before without success.  And I found it, so I want to share.  

If you have a quiet couple of hours and the patience for reading subtitles (it's not very hard really), your time could not be better spent; trust me.  Shiawase no Pan is truly the Bread of Happiness.

There are two mirrors on this page; I used the first, and it worked fine:

Or you might just want to watch movie trailer on YouTube to see what it's all about:

Enjoy.  Make your heart happy.  Shiawase indeed.  




This reminds me that I've been wanting to make my mother's Very Best Bread recipe again.  Shiawase no Pan makes me want to dash out to the kitchen to start right now, and it makes me want to share a loaf with friends.

(Please note:  The images on online finds.  I do not know if the movie download is legal.  However, the trailer was posted by the owner of the movie company.)

No comments:

Post a Comment