Friday, June 10, 2016

The Boys of Summer


When it comes right down to it, I've gotta admit that I was raised more-or-less as a girly-girl.  I was never allowed to mess with tools or help with the yard work because I "might get dirty."  The one exception was when my stepdad insisted that I had to learn to change a car tire before I would be allowed to test for my driving license.  Sports were out, too--my family had no interest and nice girls didn't do anything to make them sweat.  My parents were kinda eccentric and sorta Victorian like that.  But I wasn't bothered; I was more interested in embroidery anyway.

None of that can explain why I've been playing Fantasy Baseball every summer since 2002.  I don't understand it myself.  I don't even have any TV service, so I couldn't watch games even if I wanted to.....which I mostly don't.  And I couldn't explain the rules of baseball because I have no clue.  But I love my team, and I never miss a day updating team scores in my cute little notebook with the pink flowers on the front.  I play in a league that is based in the United Kingdom--also strange because they just don't play baseball there; they like cricket. 

I look forward to checking scores each morning and going over my team roster, making sure all the guys are performing well and not  injured or misbehaving.  I agonize over trades and payroll every week.  My scores are incredibly inconsistent.  One day last week I was in 27th position in a league of over 900 players.  Today I was at 677th.  And I don't care!  I hope to continue every summer that the site stays online.  If it were any other fantasy baseball site, it just wouldn't be fun anymore.

My team colors are yellow and black.  I love yellow; can't stand black--I won't wear it, and I won't buy anything black as long as there is any other color choice available.  My team mascot is a cute black kitty cat.  I don't think any of the guys in the league (which is about 98% male) has something as silly as team colors and a mascot.

It makes no sense, does it?  The stuff we love can't always be explained or quantified, and really it shouldn't be because that takes all the charm away from it. 

Go Panthers!  I can't wait to see what the scores are tomorrow.
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment