Saturday, March 18, 2017

Daisy Dumpling


My dear old cat Daisy (and, yes, her middle name is Dumpling but don't tell her that--she's a feisty old thing who doesn't know that she can do "cute") has had a tough couple of weeks.  In fact, she was so poorly that I honestly thought that I would wake up cat-less a couple mornings ago.

I figure that her time is in God's hands, and I will leave her there.  She's not in pain--she's just feeling age and having a bad reaction to some flea medicine.  I want her to be comfortable and healthy.  And I want her to stay with me for as long as she will.

The fact of the matter is that I Need a cat.  Not "want" but "need."   Keeping a cat gives me a reason to get up in the morning, gives me something to love that loves me, and, when that cat is Daisy, it gives me someone to spar with.  Daisy is the only cat I've ever had who argues and bickers.  Constantly.  It's incredibly tiresome and, honestly, just what I need from her.....because I only want her to be Daisy.

When Daisy's time has ended, I will get another cat.  That's not disloyalty to Daisy; it's respect for the species.  I'm good with cats; cats like me.  But I am unlikely to get a kitten.  Strangely, I don't much care for kittens--they are sweet but too fragile, too busy, too needy.  I like an older cat. 

And I prefer cats who have bad personalities.  Heaven knows I've had more than my share of them.....and I'd like some more, please.  Unhappy cats can form the strongest bonds when they finally allow themselves to be even a little vulnerable.  It is hardest for them to trust so, when you get through to a damaged cat, you've really got something.  That's why I like Daisy.  She was (and is) exactly that sort of feline.

Whether Daisy lives for another two minutes or two days or two years, I want her to be as happy as she decides to be.  Even if that means she is bickering.  I gave her a catnip rubdown the other morning.  That made her feel lots better.  We'll see how things go from here. 



It's nice to see her enjoying the sunshine.
(And, yes, my Christmas cactus is blooming gloriously out-of-season.)

Life is good.




No comments:

Post a Comment